Calcoo version 2
2013/09/15 Calcoo 2.1.0
- Add: more robust paste parsing.
- Add: option to choose between locale-based and heuristic locale-independent paste parsing.
- Add: a customizable button.
- Change: buttons to change the signs of the mantissa and of the exponent merged into one.
- Cleanup: code cleanups.
2013/08/04 Calcoo 2.0.0
- Add: shortcut "r" to "raise to power".
2013/06/27 Calcoo 2.beta.1
- Add: shortcut "y" to swap registers X and Y.
- Fix: disable paren shortcuts in RPN mode.
- Change: display format now is saved on exit and restored on startup.
- Fix: now repeated hits of "e" button are handled correctly.
- Fix: problems with handling number input starting with "." or "e" in RPN mode. Thanks to Larry Brasfield for reporting the bug.
- Add: shortcut "m" to change the sign of the currently active input field.
- Add: tooltip for base-10 log button.
2013/06/20 Calcoo 2.beta.0
- Initial release of version 2 — rewritten in Java.
- Add: antialiasing for icons
- Change: icons reworked
- Add: project page URL and support email in the info window are now clickable hyperlinks.
- Change: shortcut for Redo changed from Ctrl-R to Ctrl-Y.
2007/08/18 Calcoo 1.3.18
- Fix: Legacy GTK+ 1.x function calls removed. Thanks
to Rafal Muzylo for reporting the issue and
providing some of the patches.
2007/07/14 Calcoo 1.3.17
- Fix: unsafe strcpy fixed. Thanks to Steve Kemp for
reporting the bug and providing the fix.
- Fix: cleaned up parsing pasted selection.
2005/04/27 Calcoo 1.3.16
- Change: swithched to GTK+ 2.x. Changes needed for the
switch involve keyboard accelerators, dialog windows
(thanks to Reuben Peterkin for providing the patches),
- Add: shortcut for the keypad comma (for German keyboards).
Thanks to Andreas Hoppe for posting this problem at
de.comp.os.unix.apps.kde and testing the fix.
- Fix: introduced lazy initialization of display digits to improve startup time.
2003/07/30 Calcoo 1.3.15
- Add: some keyboard shorcuts
2003/07/13 Calcoo 1.3.14
- Fix: addition/subtraction tweaked to have 100.1 - 100 -
0.1 equal to zero rather than to 10e-17 and so on. Ditto for log and
log10. An analogous hack for the trigonometric functions
improved. Thanks to Hinrich Buhr for posting this problem at
- Fix: function int round(double) was renamed to int
round_double_to_int(double) in order to prevent name conflicts under
Mac OS X. Thanks to Mike Block for informing me about this issue.
2002/08/18 Calcoo 1.3.13
- Fix: bug which caused segfaults during pasting when the
selection could not be retrieved. Thanks to Vincent Lefevre for
discovering this bug.
2002/07/28 Calcoo 1.3.12
- Add: accelerator keys: "BackSpace" for undo, "Delete" for
clear_x, "Up"/"Down" for stack scrolling (RPN mode).
- Add: mouse middle button now pastes into the main display.
- Add: info and options windows can now be closed by hitting Escape.
- Add: option to truncate trailing zeros when rounding to a fixed
number of decimal places.
- Fix: processing of the command-line options moved to before the
call to gtk_init(). As the result, it is now possible to run calcoo
with options -h and -v even if no window can be opened.
- Fix: it turned out that changing options using the spacebar
rather than the mouse was ignored (GTK bug?). Workaround enabled.
- Change: beautifications of the settings window.
- Change: minor code cleanups.
2002/07/05 Calcoo 1.3.11
- Fix: the bug in setting the color for the button labels and
display glyphs. Now, calcoo DOES take this color from the current GTK+
scheme. The default color is fg[PRELIGHT] for the "default" style, as
defined in ~/.gtkrc. It can be changed in defaults.h. Thanks to Jan
Stocker for reporting this bug.
2002/06/19 Calcoo 1.3.10
- Change: In the RPN mode, the keys to swap registers X and Z,
and X and T replaced with the keys to scroll the stack.
- Add: number input can be started with "e" now (mantissa defaults to 1).
- Fix: the lower bound for rounding is changed from "0" (which makes no sense) to "1".
2002/06/10 Calcoo 1.3.9
- Add: option to round output to N digits.
- Fix: bugs in the input interpretation which led to improper
stack behavior when the number input was beginning with "."
Thanks to Christian Weisgerber for discovering this bug.
- Fix: a minor bug which in scientific and engineering display
modes caused unnecessary rounding of numbers very close to 1.
2002/06/02 Calcoo 1.3.8
- Change: non-integer powers of negative numbers
now yield errors instead of weird results.
- Add: saving the selected angle units.
- Add: option to preserve original colors of pixmaps
(in defaults.h). By default, they are converted to
the foreground color.
- Change: pixmaps for deg/rad and fix/sci/eng indicators, some other pixmaps.
- Fix: bugs in saving "arc autorelease" and "hyp autorelease" settings.
- Change: minor code cleanups (mostly in b_settings.c)
- Add: window icons for Settings and Info windows.
2002/03/09 Calcoo 1.3.7
- Change: error handling. Now all the buttons except for undo
and clear_all become grayed out when an error
- Fix: a bug in the initialization sequence, which could
cause weird things displayed in the operation displays in
the algebraic mode from the calcoo start until the
- Fix: a minor bug in the mode switching procedure, which
could cause weird things displayed in the operation
displays in the algebraic mode from just after
switching from RPN to algebraic mode until the
- Change: Minor code cleanups.
2002/02/09 Calcoo 1.3.6
- Add: option to choose between infinite and four-element
stack in RPN mode.
- Add: option to disable autorelease of arc and hyp buttons.
- Change: RPN-related options are now grayed out when the
algebraic mode is chosen.
- Add: Shortcut Ctrl-q for exit.
- Change: Minor code cleanups.
2002/01/20 Calcoo 1.3.5
- Fix: cpu->curr_mem was not initialized at startup, which
caused crashes on some systems. Thanks to Christian
Weisgerber for discovering this bug.
2001/12/14 Calcoo 1.3.4
- Change: RPN mode: behavior of the Enter button.
Finally calcoo can satisfy all tastes for the
behavior of the Enter button. Now there is an
optionthat sets its behavior to traditional or
2001/12/10 Calcoo 1.3.3 (for Debian GNU/Linux only)
- Change: RPN mode: behavior of the Enter button
Now it works like in most HP calculators. (In 1.3.2
it was set to work as in HP-28, which was not quite
- Add: keyboard shortcuts for parenthesis buttons.
2001/12/03 Calcoo 1.3.2
- Fix: RPN mode: behavior of the Enter button pressed
when the number has just been entered.
- Change: now options and info/help have separate windows.
- Change: code cleanups.
- Add: engineering display format (the exponent is a multiple of 3).
- Fix: incorrect behavior when "=" is pressed before all parens are closed.
- Fix: adjacent opening parens are now possible.
- Fix: GtkErrors if the options applied are the same as the current ones.
- Add: "Help" tab in the info window.
- Change: register X is not reset by changing the mode now.
2001/11/19 Calcoo 1.3.1
- Change: body design, button arrangement.
- Fix: RPN mode: the bugfix of the previous version introduced
another bug - sometimes the stack was pushed twice.
- Add: displays for Y, Z, and T registers.
- Change: the number of registers in RPN mode reduced from
infinity to 4 to comply with traditions.
- Change: rearrangements in processing binary operations, digit
keys, and parentheses.
- Add: more shortcuts.
2001/11/16 Calcoo 1.3.0
- Change: body design, button arrangement.
- Fix: RPN mode: in earlier versions entering of a new
number did not push the stack. Thanks to Christian
Weisgerber for finding this bug.
- Fix: PRN mode: in earlier versions recalling from the
memory did not push the stack.
- Add: a button to swap X and memory registers.
- Add: another memory register.
- Add: displays for memory.
- Change: icons for memory buttons.
- Remove: optimization and other compiler flags from
2001/11/13 Calcoo 1.2.4
- Fix: bug introduced in version 1.2.2, which caused crashes when display was getting full.
- Change: pixmaps for "1".
- Add: more keyboard shortcuts.
2001/11/11 Calcoo 1.2.3
- Add: the state of RPN/Standard option is now saved in
$HOME/.calcoo, and is restored when calcoo is restarted.
- Add: keyboard shortcuts for basic buttons.
- Add: help tab in the info window.
- Change: information about the current state of "enforced e
format" and deg/rad is now stored in "cpu"; as a
result now it is affected by undo/redo.
- Fix: tan of 90 degrees now yields overflow instead of a large number.
- Fix: undo/redo in the previous versions did not affect memory - now it does.
- Change: code cleanups, rearrangements in the cpu structure.
- Change: the icon for the RPN "Enter" button.
- Change: now 0! yields 1 instead of overflow.
2001/10/20 Calcoo 1.2.2
- Change: defaults moved to default.h.
- Fix: handling of binary operation priority in complicated
- Change: behavior of "copy": decimal dot is now not copied
if there is no fractional part.
- Change: behavior of "copy": overflow message is now copied.
2001/10/16 Calcoo 1.2.1
- Change: now switching between RPN/standard modes resets registers.
- Change: zero exponent is not displayed now, even if exponential
format is enforced.
- Change: evaluation of trigonometric functions tweaked to have
cosine of 90 degrees equal to 0.0 rather than to 10e-17
and so on.
- Add: man page.
- Fix: bug in the evaluation of the factorial of large numbers.
- Add: main window icon.
- Add: --help and --version command-line options.
- Add: display tick marks to separate thousands.
2001/10/13 Calcoo 1.2.0
- Add: RPN (reverse Polish notation) mode.
- Change: appearance of the "Enforce exponential format" control.
- Change: bitmaps for digits "5" and "1".
2001/07/20 Calcoo 1.1.1
- Change: icons for some buttons.
- Add: frame for DEG/RAD indicator.
2001/07/13 Calcoo 1.1.0
- Add: copy/paste interaction with X clipboard.
- Add: parentheses buttons.
- Add: binary operation priority.
- Remove: M-, MX, M/ buttons.
2001/06/20 Calcoo 1.0.1
- Add: tooltips for non-obvious buttons.
- Add: autoconf/automake stuff.
- Cleanup: minor cosmetic changes.
2001/06/15 Calcoo 1.0.0